Sunday, July 29, 2007

The worst 2 months for sports in my whole life.

June/July 2007 will go down as the worst 2 months in sports in my life time. Never have I felt such a negative vibe like you feel on the regular world/nation/local news as I have in this month. Let's start by recapping june.

June 2007
- The worst NBA finals ever. We've all heard the comparison of the eastern and western conference as varsity and jv and we all saw that play out in 4 short boring games.
- The only brightspot of June was the NBA draft. The deepest draft since 2003 featured 3 francise players. Yes Oden. Yes Durant. And yes Conley Jr. This kid is going to be good. Perennial all-star good.
- Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and the entire Cincinnati Bengals squad dominate the news for complete idiocy. Is there a dumber person in professional sports than Pacman Jones?
- NHL finals probably happened. Who knows. I know that the Anaheim Might Ducks of Los Angeles of Orange County of Disneyland of Emelio Estevez won, but who cares? I only know one person that calls himself a hockey fan, but I bet he couldn't name any more players than that Crosby fellow. Cosby? I don't even know.
- MLB. Eh. It doesn't matter until post all-star break. One of the two intruiging preseason stories has died (what happened media star child Dice-K? Why hasn't the gyro ball carried you?) and the other story (Bonds "breaking" Hank Aaron's record) just sucks. More on this in a second.

July 2007. Even worse than June? Yes.
Controversy!
MLB: Barry Bonds. Obviously has juiced. There's the visual evidence. There's the evidence in his performance. There's his alleged foot and head growth. So I hate him. I hate when records get broken by people I don't like. I hated it when Emmitt Smith broke Walter Payton's rushing record. And he did it legitimately. But Barry. You're a cheater. The only condolence I have is that A-Rod is going to break the record in no less than 6 years.
NFL: Mike Vick. Another Idiot. Dog fighting. Eh... I don't want to write anything about this. The league should ban him for not becoming a slot back. I'm sick of seeing him out of position. Vick. You are not a quarterback! You were the 21st leading rusher in the league as a quarterback. Get out of here and don't come back until you are not under center.
NBA: "How much are they paying you ref?" Turns out the they is the mafia. Or vegas. Donaghy. Idiot. There's nothing I hate more than when conspiracy theorists are validated. In other news, the white house has also confirmed that we in fact have never been to the moon and they were behind 911 to create a reason to invade Iraq.
MLS: The only person in the world that could bring any attention to the MLS is here. Unfortunately he's 5 years past his prime and his body is not allowing him to play. Keep waiting soccer fans. Your day will come.

Please come soon pro and college football season. Us sports fan need something to drown out these past two awful months.

1 comment:

Chopstick Mano. said...

bill simmons just wrote a blog very similar to this. perhaps he's reading this blog and stealing ideas.